Singapore has been hit by heavy rainfall the past two weeks and you would have seen forwarded videos like these doing their rounds on whatsapp and social media.
According to a Straits Times report on 20th August 2021, was brought about by a clash of winds blowing from the north and the south. When surface winds blowing from two different directions meet, some air is forced upwards. This creates conditions that facilitate the formation of rain clouds.
The convergence of two wind systems, one of which was from a line of thunderstorms originating over Indonesia and the other a land breeze blowing from Johor, caused the intense rainfall.
As drivers, one of the horrors we have is to be stuck in flash flood that can destroy our engines and total our cars. Here are areas to avoid during this season if it rains heavily and there is a chance of flash floods happening.
List of Flood Prone Areas in Singapore (in PUB Website) As at May 2020
1. Hong Kah area
2. Second Chin Bee Road
3. Commonwealth Ave / Commonwealth Drive / Queensway
4. Jalan Mat Jambol
5. Neo Pee Teck Lane/ Pasir Panjang Road
6. Admiralty Road West near Sembawang shipyard
7. Jalan Taman
8. Stevens Road/ Balmoral Road
9. Farrer Park Area (including Thomson Road / Derbyshire Road) / Farrer Park Field
10. Waterloo St / Albert St / Bencoolen St / Prinsep St
11. Jalan Besar Area
12. King George’s Avenue (People’s Association HQ)
13. CTE near Slip Road to Moulmein Road
14. Jalan Mashor
15. Delta Road/ River Valley Road/ Delta Avenue
16. Alexandra Road / Jervois Road/ Bishopsgate Road
17. Lower Delta Road / Alexandra Road
18. Beach Road
19. Margaret Drive/ Tanglin Road
20. South Bridge Rd/ North Canal Rd/ Upp Hokien St/ Upp Pickering St
21. Indus Road
22. Zion Rd (Boys' Brigade HQ)
23. Langsat Road Area
24. Rose Lane
25. Sennett Estate (Puay Hee Avenue, Siang Kuang Ave, Wan Tho Ave, Jalan Kemboja, Mulberry Ave and Jalan Wangi)
26. Meyer Road / Fort Road / Arthur Road / Margate Road / Ramsgate Road
27. Jalan Seaview/ Tanjong Katong Road South
28. Jalan Gembira
29. Jalan Benaan Kapal
30. Service road off Tampines Road (near Jalan Teliti)
31. Lorong Buangkok
32. Mimosa Walk List of Flood Prone Areas in Singapore (in PUB Website)
33. Mindef’s Changi Camp off Farnborough Road
34. Bedok South Rd/ Bedok South Ave 1
35. Chin Cheng Ave
36. Lorong H Telok Kurau near Siglap Canal
37. Upp East Coast Road (junction with Parbury Avenue)
38. New Upper Changi Road (Chye Heng Garden)
Does your car insurance cover flood damage?
Do you know if your car is covered by insurance if you ever get (touch wood) caught in a flood?
Read more from our previous blog article here - Flood Damage to Your Car - Does Your Insurance Cover It?
Sign up on with BookValet to stay up to date with automotive related news